Tina Turner: I will renounce my U.S. citizenship to become a Swiss citizen

Tina Turner: I will renounce my U.S. citizenship to become a Swiss citizen

Turner leaves U.S. in favor of Switzerland.

Tina Turner, the legendary performer, is officially leaving the U.S. in favor of permanently moving to Switzerland.

Turner will soon become an official citizen of Switzerland. The retired singer, who has been living there for nearly 20 years, will renounce her U.S. citizenship and make Switzerland her official country and home.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the singer has already passed a civics test and interview. Zurich, Switzerland — her soon to be home — has reportedly approved her application for citizenship. The next step is for other authorities in the country, including the canton of Zurich and the Swiss state, to officiate it and award her a red passport. According to Turner’s rep, her Swiss citizenship has not yet been made official since it still needs a formal approval. It remains unclear when an official decision will be announced.

Turner, who famously married to musician Ike Turner in the 60’s, fled the allegedly abusive relationship in the late 70’s, but kept Ike’s last name. She then found love with her music manager and German-born record producer, Erwin Bach, eventually moving  to Switzerland in 1995 to be with him. She has lived there ever since.

The couple reportedly live together in a lake house called Chateau Algonquin. Turner has repeatedly noted her love of Switzerland, telling the Swiss daily newspaper, Blick that she considers the country home.

“I’m very happy in Switzerland and I feel at home here,” she said in an interview at the time.

According to Fox News, Turner’s native hometown Mayor, Jo Matherne was surprised that Turner had decided to change her citizenship. The Brownsville, Tennessee, mayor urged Turner to rethink the decision.

“I think anytime a person, whether they’re world-renowned or the most meek and mild, makes the decision to change their citizenship, we need to step back and think [about] what causes that decision.”

Over the course of Turner’s decade-long career, the singer has experienced many violations of privacy that come with being in the spotlight. The singer’s messy and abusive relationship with Ike Turner was a topic of much public speculation and debate. Gossip about the marriage and subsequent divorce only escalated when Turner went on Oprah in the 90’s to promote and discuss an autobiography that detailed the abuse.

Friends of Ike’s, including music legend Phil Spector, believe Turner fabricated the details of her relationship with Ike. Spector spoke up about his doubts at Ike Turner’s funeral in 2007, according to Fox News.

Although most of the evidence, including severe cocaine use by Ike, does point to Tina’s story as being accurate, the issue is clearly old news for Tina and her citizenship change seems to hint at her hope to finally put her past to rest.

1. says

Because an agency is performance driven and striving to keep the business as a client, they will generally produce better work in a quicker time frame. Google has a big list of rules about websites and what they can and can’t do with search results and their code. An SEO will also provide ongoing monitoring, rank reports and up to date recommendations.

2. says

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I do believe that you ought to write more about this subject matter, it might
    not be a taboo subject but typically people don’t
    speak about such issues. To the next! Kind regards!!

3. says

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely magnificent.
    I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say
    it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible.
    I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really
    a tremendous website.

4. says

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems
    as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog
    when you could be giving us something informative to read?

5. says

Audit can be done 90 days prior to loan development date or 90 days after lending breakthrough
    date as well as can be sent 120 days after lending advancement date.

6. says

Aw, this was a very good post. Spending some time and actual effort to create
    a top notch article… but what can I say… I hesitate a lot and don’t manage to get anything done.

7. says

If the tank level is too higher, the excess pressure can trigger water to leak by
    way of the flapper into the bowl (even with a brand new flapper).

8. says

For more information on the sorts of eco-friendly home improvement job that qualify
    for the credit rating, see Identified Environment-friendly Remodelling

9. says

We absolutely love your blog and find many of your post’s to be exactly what
    I’m looking for. Do you offer guest writers to write content in your case?

I wouldn’t mind composing a post or elaborating on a few of the subjects you write related to here.
    Again, awesome blog!

10. says

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she maintains the plan of a user in his/her brain that how a user can understand it.
    Therefore that’s why this article is perfect. Thanks!

11. says

Why are these suffering responses connected with military young families so
    different is that their own unique burden involving shame regarding not problem management better,
    discouragement and fury in the superior of their
    emotional health products and services and deficit of perceived nationwide support
    increases the over emotional intensity, time-span, frequency as well as resistance to changing their worthless coping

12. says

It’s appropriate time to make a few plans for the longer term and it’s time to be happy.
    I’ve learn this post and if I may I want to suggest you few interesting issues or tips.

Perhaps you can write next articles regarding this
    article. I want to learn more issues about it!

13. says

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme
    in our community. Your website offered us with valuable info to work on. You’ve dobe a formidable job and
    our whole community will be thankful to you.