When It Comes to Trump’s Tweeting, It’s the Other 2% That’s a Problem

When It Comes to Trump’s Tweeting, It’s the Other 2% That’s a Problem

President Trump is doing more harm to his presidency with his off-message Twitter attacks than all the vitriol from the left.

President Donald Trump has taken to Twitter like no other President in the past, and it’s not always a bad thing.  Sure, President Obama had a Twitter account and posted from time to time, but not nearly as often, and not nearly with as much controversy and outrage surrounding the tweets as the current president has generated.

I will cut the former President some slack on his tweeting.  After all, if it takes him as long to type as it did to answer an unscripted question at a press conference, coming up with anywhere near 140 characters could be a half-day job.

President Trump has no such restrictions, seemingly offering up postings at all hours of the day and night, even the now-famous “covfefe” tweet, possibly while in his brief moments of actual sleeping.

The President’s reasoning about using social media to get his message out is sound, at least from his perspective.  Recent events are beginning to give some justification to his sense that the majority of the media is not exactly working to promote his agenda.  In fact, it even seems that some of the media is actually working to destroy Donald Trump, the man and the President.

It has come to the point that both left and right are waiting with baited breath for the next missive launched by President Trump, to re-tweet to thousands of like-minded supporters, or to demonize his remarks to cast doubts about his ethics or even his sanity.

It doesn’t appear the President is about to stop using Twitter to get his message out, and that is perfectly fine to do.  The medium reaches millions instantly, and allows him to give his point of view without analysis by either the right or left, trying to put words into his mouth.  Or, as some court judges tried to do, determine what they believe is actually in Trump’s mind, no matter what he said.

Former House Speaker and presidential candidate Newt Gingrich tried to defend Trump’ occasional less-that-professional tweets on a recent appearance with Fox News’ Tucker Carlson by saying the President is focused on making America great again 98% of the time, but the other 2% reverts to the old Donald Trump we knew before he became president.

But, as someone famous once said, therein lies the rub.  We, and especially the news media, expect our President to be on guard and on call 100% of the time.  It is an unrealistic expectation, but we are famous for holding all those in the public eye to unrealistic expectations.

And Trump is not new to the public eye, so he is familiar with what happens when you say the wrong thing or, in this case, post a tweet that arouses scandal.  In short, he of all people should know better.

Positive tweets about passing legislation or creating new job growth can serve to promote the President’s agenda and actions, but silly attacks against the “fake news outlets” and disgusting personal attacks against those who disagree with him only serve to slow his own progress.  They also give ammunition to those still wishing to do his policies and his presidency harm, and present him as insane and immoral.

Democrats and liberal elites have been working since the day after the election last November to de-legitimize Trump’s tenure.  Every positive accomplishment from his agenda thwarts those efforts, but posting vile tweets and personal attacks does more to de-legitimize his term than all the Democratic rhetoric.

The American public expects more from their elected leaders.  Trump has to learn to control the other 2%.

>

Like This Post? ... Then Like Our Page :)

Be social, please share!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail